This awesome, super nutritious, alternative to a bread pizza base is something you won’t regret trying
The key to getting it perfect is the squeezing of the ‘dough’ in a tea towel, so all the excess moisture comes out (if you rush through this bit, you’ll end up with a rather unappetising, steaming circle of cauli-mash in the oven.)
Makes 2 small pizza bases, or 1 large…
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 free-range organic eggs
- 4 tbs almond meal
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Good pinch of sea salt
- Good pinch of dried herbs
- Whatever healthy pizza toppings you like
- Wash the cauliflower and break into florets.
- Blitz in a food processor until you get fine crumbs.
- Place into a microwave-safe bowl and cook uncovered for 5 mins on High (do not add water).
- Spoon out into a clean tea towel and wrap tightly so the cauliflower forms a ball. Squeeze out as much water as possible – you should get at least 1 cup of liquid.
- Place cauliflower back into the bowl and add eggs, almond meal, garlic, salt and herbs, and mix well.
- Turn mixture out onto a sheet of baking paper and flatten into a circle (or 2, if desired).
- Bake at 200C for 10-12 minutes, or until edges have browned and crisped.
- Add your toppings and return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or add fresh toppings.